Mount Gay Origin Series Vol.2 / The Copper Stills
The oldest surviving deed for the Mount Gay distillery in Barbados dates back to 1703, making it the oldest commercial rum producer in the world. A 280-acre estate in the Saint Lucy parish, Mount Gay was originally called Mount Gilboa, but was renamed in 1801 after Sir John Gay Alleyne, who had managed it for owner, John Sober, since 1747. The estate was bought by Aubrey Fitz-Osbert Ward in 1918, and remained in his family until the death of his son in 1989. Majority ownership then passed to French giants, Remy Cointreau, with the Ward’s selling their remaining shares in 2014. Mount Gay is a single blended rum, producing distillates on both continuous column stills and pot stills, some of which are now over 100 years old.
The second instalment of the Origin Series, this focusses on the rum produced on each of the distillery's two copper still types. One is a pure single rum from its pot stills, the other a traditional rum from its columns.