Rhum J.M Oldest Reserve Caraf Cristal
The J.M Crassous de Medeuil distillery is the oldest still in operation in Martinique. It was built in 1845 by Jean-Marie Martin on the Fonds Préville estate, established by Antoine Leroux-Préville in 1790. Martin’s rum was shipped in barrels using his initials “J.M” on the cask ends. In 1914, his distillery was bought by neighbouring distillers, the Crassous de Medeuil family, who consolidated both operations at the Fonds Préville distillery, renaming it J.M Crassous de Medeuil. The “Rhum J.M” brand first appeared in the 1980s, and the first sales of its aged rum were in 1994. Its blossoming reputation then saw it bought by Groupe Bernard Hayot (GBH) in 2002, who’s portfolio also included the Clément brand. Rather than move production to Bernard’s brother’s Le Simon distillery, as they had done with Clément, GBH invested heavily in J.M Crassous de Medeuil. This included the installation of a second column still in 2015, modelled after those used in Armagnac, boosting production capacity to around 1.5 million litres per year.
This Oldest Reserve rum is presented in one of 500 individually numbered crystal caraf.
We would recommend viewing/close inspection prior to placing any bids. If this is not an option and you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please contact us for a more in-depth condition report. Otherwise lots will be sold as seen in the images.
Please note: Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.