J. Bally 1998 Rhum Vieux
The J. Bally brand is named after founder, Jacques Bally, who purchased the Lajus plantation in 1917 following its closure after the 1902 Mount Pelee eruption. After rebuilding the distillery virtually from scratch and acquiring the neighbouring Habitation Dariste, the equipment from which was incorporated into the restored Lajus, Jacques began to lay down spirt in 1924. Bally holds an important place in the history of French style rhum, and was one of the first to adopt the sophisticated principals of distillation and maturation that had long been established in Cognac. The distillery was eventually bought by Remy Cointreau, who closed it down in 1989. Production was then moved first to Le Simon distillery, and then to Saint James in 1998. It is produced there to this day by La Martinquaise who acquired Saint James and the J. Bally brand in 2003.
This is a 1998 vintage rhum vieux, the first vintage distilled at the brand's current home.