J. Bally 1993 Rhum Vieux
The J. Bally brand is named after founder, Jacques Bally, who purchased the Lajus plantation in 1917 following its closure after the 1902 Mount Pelee eruption. After rebuilding the distillery virtually from scratch and acquiring the neighbouring Habitation Dariste, the equipment from which was incorporated into the restored Lajus, Jacques began to lay down spirt in 1924. Bally holds an important place in the history of French style rhum, and was one of the first to adopt the sophisticated principals of distillation and maturation that had long been established in Cognac. The distillery was eventually bought by Remy Cointreau, who closed it down in 1989. Production was then moved first to Le Simon distillery, and then to Saint James in 1998. It is produced there to this day by La Martinquaise who acquired Saint James and the J. Bally brand in 2003.
This is a 1993 vintage rhum vieux, distilled during the brand's stay at Le Simon.
The Le Simon distillery, also referred to as Rhumerie du Simon, has origins dating back to 1862. It was built by the architect Emile Bougenot., and for over 100 years produced bulk rum for blending alongside various other sugar products. In 1971 it was bought by the Groupement d’Intérét Economique, a company run by Yves Hayot, and focus was turned exclusively to rum. The distillery operates four creole column stills, one each for the production of the Clément and Habitation Saint-Étienne (HSE) brands, and the other two for its contract-distilling operations. It is believed all four originate from the Habitation Clément.