OUR CODE OF ETHICS
Updated: 17 Dec 2020
Rum Auctioneer Ltd. believe that the key to our ethical conduct is openness, honesty and trustworthiness.
We are committed to providing a fair, transparent and uncompromising service for all users of our site, alongside complete confidentiality, attention to detail and a reliable product that has been delivered with an awareness of environmental impact.
To ensure that we achieve the above stated objectives we maintain certain policies that guide our company’s actions:
- When valuing rum we will do so in an open and honest manner using the most up to date auction results.
- We will clearly state the terms that the customer agrees to abide by when registering on our site and the customer’s rights as a user of our site in our Terms and Conditions document. For further details please see our Terms and Conditions.
- When listing bottles for auction we will aim to do so clearly and accurately so that buyers understand the product they are bidding on.
- We will always identify and clearly present any damage or condition issues with a product through a combination of description and images on a listing.
- We will never knowingly list a fake or forged product on our site, nor will we encourage the sale or production of counterfeit rum.
- Shill bidding (the placing of a bid on an item by the seller of said item in order to generate a higher price) is strictly forbidden. We will attempt to detect all shill bidding on the site and will take action to stop this.
- It is strictly forbidden for any staff member to utilise knowledge obtained from our website concerning other users in order to unfairly advantage their own buying or selling activities or that of a family member or friend. Any indication that this has happened will be grounds for appropriate disciplinary action.
- We will never divulge details of our users or their buying and selling activities to a third party.
- We are an environmentally conscious company and aim to use as much recycled materials as possible when shipping items and to re-use any functional packaging material which we receive.
Corporate and Social Responsibility Statement
Rum Auctioneer considers itself to be a champion of rum, a spirit that displays a stunning diversity that reflects the individuality of each of the regions in which it is produced. We also understand that rum carries with it a long history and that the beginnings of the industry were borne out of slavery and exploitation, a grave and dark past that must not be ignored or forgotten. Due to the nature of the content that we feature in our auctions, we know we have a platform and an active role to play in the global dialogue around racial equality.
We have developed an Item Inclusion Policy - with an accompanying statement - that sets out our approach to this. This will be continually evolving based on knowledge and evidence, so ensure that you check back to view the most up-to-date policy.